Re: oss and alsa and audio devices

Kelly Clowers wrote:

> I believe that is "provides" in the package dependency sense, and is
> for compatibility and because of alsa oss emulation. AFAIK, oss has
> no userspace component, so nothing would show up in apt.

Yes, that is what first did before starting this thread. It gave
nothing. If this is true, then ...

>> And in KDE's sound configuration gui, one of the
>> systems to choose from is OSS.
>
> Probably hardwired, and would show up in any case.

... this does make sense. However, if I select OSS from KDE's sound
settings dialog box, I still get audio though it appears it is not using
Alsa anymore (my alsa specific options are ignored). Perhaps the
emulation is working here?

>> To me it appears that I do have oss.
>> Hence the lack of any useful information from Ron's message where he
>> used the word "shouldn't".
>
> I think you do have it, but I doubt it is in use. You could look at
> lsmod output and compare it to the modules in
> /lib/modules/2.6.xxx/kernel/sound/oss.

Here is what i have:
$> ls /lib/modules/2.6.24-1-686/kernel/sound/oss/
ac97_codec.ko  aedsp16.ko  mpu401.ko  pas2.ko  sb.ko      sound.ko
trident.ko  uart401.ko   v_midi.ko
ad1848.ko      kahlua.ko   opl3.ko    pss.ko   sb_lib.ko  sscape.ko
trix.ko     uart6850.ko

And looks like none of this is being used:
$> for f in /lib/modules/2.6.24-1-686/kernel/sound/oss/*; do  k=`echo $f
| sed -e 's/.*\/\(.*\)\.ko/\1/'`; lsmod | grep -w $k; done
$>

ever having been read.