Re: oss and alsa and audio devices

Kelly Clowers wrote:

> I think you do have it, but I doubt it is in use. You could look at
> lsmod output and compare it to the modules in
> /lib/modules/2.6.xxx/kernel/sound/oss.

I have a bunch of modules there. I will check if any of those are
loaded. Which brings me to this point: check for these kind of loaded
modules is the only method to check if I have oss running. Is that correct?

>>> As far as sound servers, dmix is all well and good, but I have
>>> personally never seen it work correctly^W at all. I have seen
>>> esd work, but not without crashes and other breakage. I do
>>> not even want to talk about arts.
>> I have aumix, kmix and xmix. I have no idea if all three are required.
>
> Those are mixer/volume control apps. You only need one,
> or even just alsamixer

Right, thanks.

> Back to one of your original questions, USB sound devices
> should be usb/alsa devices. I do not know much about USB
> sound, but I am pretty sure that the Linux striped-down OSSv3
> system has no USB support at all (although it might still
> show up with alsa oss emu). I would not be surprised if

OSSv3 = OSS Version 3?

I appreciate your posts. They have been helpful and very insightful.

Regards.

ever having been read.