Re: Login manager will not let me log in - machine thrashing

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 03:53:13PM -0500, Ken Heard wrote:

> Later I discovered that I could open my user and root from a virtual
> terminal.  So to test my suspicion I opened root in F1, went back to F7
> and entered my user ID and password and immediately went back to F1.
>
> There I opened top.  In about 15 seconds the memory filled up, all 2GB
> of it, and then in another 15 seconds or so the swap space also filled
> up -- again all 2GB of it.  Top does not indicate any untoward use of
> memory; only about 40 KB seem to be in use by applications.

Try again, but set up top first, ordered by memory usage (not processor
usage), set a delay of a half second.

What happens if you run startx from the VT instead of using the login
manager?  (don't know the details since I _alwasy_ use startx).

Doug.