Re: Any textual web browser handling javascript?

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 10:22:06PM EST, Michael Marsh wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 9:57 PM, Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, for what it's worth .. I don't have access to your mail account or
> > an account on "libero.it" .. but I just verified that I can _access_ my
> > gmail accounts with elinks.
> [snip]
> > I'm pretty sure I had to apply some patch or other to enable some level
> > of js support in elinks and I'll search through my memories/notes if you
> > want to give it a try and need more info.
>
> Actually, gmail degrades gracefully by design.  Or rather, it presents
> a basic interface if you don't have all the requirements for the full
> interface.  No javascript required.

Used to be true of google in general.

Their "advanced search" page is now regrettably using stuff, presumably
js.. that no longer "gracefully degrades" (nice formulation, by the way)
when using a text-only browser such as elinks.

On the other hand they do have "text versions" of many of their pages.