Re: how to select default audio device in KDE

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 23:11:38 -0500, H.S. wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> > I would try to use ~/.asoundrc to make the USB headset the default PCM
> > device:
> >
> > http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/.asoundrc#Default_PCM_device
>
> Yes, that helped. From the aplay command (see further below), I put this
> in my ~/.asoundrc:
> $> cat ~/.asoundrc
> pcm.!default front:default
>
> and then restarted Mozilla browser and its video's then used the headset
> for audio. So that went well. However, audacious still play audio from
> the internal card. I am not sure how the .asoundrc is supposed to work.
> Doesn't it just send all audio to the one selected in it?

Your ~/.asoundrc specifies the default pcm to use, but it does not
disable the other ones. An application can have its own separate setting
which output to use, or it might still use the legacy OSS devices
(/dev/dsp*). You have to check the setting for the output in the
application; it should be possible to specify "ALSA" and "default
device" or something similar. (I do not know audacious at all, but that
is how many applications handle it.)

          Florian   |