Re: how to select default audio device in KDE

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 14:42:22 -0500, H.S. wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > The KDE audio device can be set in Control Center > Sound & Multimedia >
> > Sound System > Hardware > Override device location.
> >
> > The device location "hw:1,0" (without the quotes) should give you output
> > through the USB headphones for the ALSA configuration that you posted.
> > (This device location points to "hardware: card 1, device 0".) You have
> > to commit the change with the "Apply" button at the bottom, then you can
> > go to the "General" tab and try the "Test Sound" button.
>
> I tried this but it didn't work.
>
> This is what I have in override device location box: hw:1,0
>
> And aplay gives:
> $> aplay -l
> card 0: AudioPCI [Ensoniq AudioPCI], device 0: ES1371/1 [ES1371 DAC2/ADC]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: AudioPCI [Ensoniq AudioPCI], device 1: ES1371/2 [ES1371 DAC1]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: default [Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 ], device 0: USB Audio [USB
> Audio]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> Perhaps I am missing something else?

Hmm, unfortunately I don't have a USB audio available right now to
try this myself. I would be interested in two things:

1) Does it work to use "hw:0,0" in the KDE box for getting sound from
   the built-in device?

2) What is the output of "aplay -L" (with USB headset plugged in)?

          Florian   |