Re: how to select default audio device in KDE

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 00:14:11 -0500, H.S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Running Debian Testing, if I plug in a pair of USB headphones (which are
> detected fine), how do I tell me KDE session (ver 3.5.9) to use that
> device as default audio output device instead of the speaker connected
> to the audio card output?
>
> The USB headset is detected as Microsoft LX3000:
> $> aplay -l
> card 0: AudioPCI [Ensoniq AudioPCI], device 0: ES1371/1 [ES1371 DAC2/ADC]
>   Subdevices: 0/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: AudioPCI [Ensoniq AudioPCI], device 1: ES1371/2 [ES1371 DAC1]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: default [Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 ], device 0: USB Audio [USB
> Audio]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>

> I can change its volume using 'alsamixer -c 1' command, or use it as
> output for mplayer using -ao option. But I am not able to tell KDE
> session to select the new device as the output device. Any ideas?

The KDE audio device can be set in Control Center > Sound & Multimedia >
Sound System > Hardware > Override device location.

The device location "hw:1,0" (without the quotes) should give you output
through the USB headphones for the ALSA configuration that you posted.
(This device location points to "hardware: card 1, device 0".) You have
to commit the change with the "Apply" button at the bottom, then you can
go to the "General" tab and try the "Test Sound" button.

If you want to have automatic switching between the USB output and the
normal output whenever you plug or unplug the headphones, then you have
to arrange that at the ALSA level:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Hotplugging_USB_audio_devices_(Howto)

(KDE should always use the ALSA default device if "override device
 location" is inactive.)

          Florian   |