Re: Firewall Utilities

Michael Pobega wrote:
On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 05:59:50PM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
On Sunday 16 November 2008 12:00, Michael Pobega wrote:
Do you know of any reliable way to make sure my firewall is working?
I'm behind a router so I don't think any of those TCP scanning sites
would work.
nmap from various locations is my general testing proceedure.  There
might be more aggressive scanners available as well.

Thank you so much, I was trying to remember nmap's name for the whole
day. Would doing it from one laptop to this one over LAN be enough of a
check?

One option would be to isolate your firewall from the internet and then:

plug in the firewall network port into a switch and scan it from other computers on the switch subnet.

plug in the rest of the ports in sequence and scan each of them.

Alternativesly, if you have enough ports, plug them all into a switch and just scan them all. It should give you a pretty good idea what your fire wall will respond to.