Firewall Utilities

For about ten years I've been writing my own firewall directives and today I started setting up a new firewall box. For the past year I've been using ipcop, but they have some characteristics that I didn't care for.

I noticed that there are a number of iptable management utilities in the debian arsenal of cool stuff.

First - I have no interest in installation of a GUI front end on my firewall. It's a headless box and I want to be able to maintain it as such. This removes some of the firewall utilities because they appear to be GUI tools.

after this I think I am left with a few options:

ferm
shorewall
arno-iptables-firewall

But I haven't been able to get through the list to find them all. Not all packages have the same key works under 'apt-cache search'.

My needs are relatively simple today with options going forward:

basic home firewall without a DMZ (this I can do by hand).
But I want options for expanding this into a VPN supported firewall with a DMZ, LAN, and respective port forwarding.

Even with all of this, I still consider it relatively simple as all traffic is going in/out through the same IP/interfaces and I am not, as yet, using anything like socks authentication.

One of the reasons why I am interested in using Debian over ipcop is the ability to notify me of significant developments and/or the management tools available (fail2ban, denyhosts, knockd). But those are probably good for another posting.

Any experience or knowledge of the currently viable tools in Debian would be appreciate. However, please keep in mind that graphical front ends are not an option as this is a headless box.

Many Thanks!