Re: Grub Question

* Raj Kiran Grandhi <grajkiran@gmail.com> 27.10.2008
>> On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 05:50:04AM +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:

>>> Just install grub on all your disks, so that your system boots
>>> irrespective of the boot order in the bios.
>>>
>>> Also, it is better to use UUID for specifying the root filesystem in
>>> menu.lst as well as in fstab.
>
> findfs UUID=<uuid>
>
> You can use `udevinfo --query=all --name=/dev/<partition>' to get the
> uuid of any partition. If a filesystem does not have a uuid, you can use
> `tune2fs -U random' to set a random uuid to that filesystem.

Hello Raj,

I prefer LABEL in my /etc/fstab because when you e.g. clone a partition,
it's possible that the partitions get unique UUIDs. This makes it
difficult to debug some errors. So with LABELs you can be sure, you are
on the secure side. Look at the net for "label versus uuid" and you will
find some interesting discussions about this problem.

Just my 2¢
Michael

--
"Do you trust one company to decide the future ? Chose Linux!"