Re: Grub Question

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 05:50:04AM +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> Thomas H. George wrote:
> >I am trying to convert from lilo where boot=/dev/sdb0 and
> >root=/dev/sdb1 in lilo.conf
> >
> >I have tried kopt=root=/dev/sdb1 ro and groot=(sdb,0) in grub's menu.lst
> >(also kopt=root=/dev/sdb0 ro since I understand grub counts from 0).
> >The MBR is unchanged and the system still boots with lilo.
> >
> >A problem could be that the bios setup detects the hard drive which lilo
> >believes is sdb as Sata 3 (Sata 1 is another hard drive and Sata 2 is an
> >optical drive).  I thought maybe grub would think lilo's sdb is sdc but
> >this didn't work either.
> >
> >A google entry indicated there is a command line continuation feature
> >which should show the available drives which grub sees.  I haven't been
> >able to make this work.
> >
> >The google entries I've found have no examples for designating Sata
> >drives.
> >
> >What have I missed?
>
> Just install grub on all your disks, so that your system boots
> irrespective of the boot order in the bios.
>
> Also, it is better to use UUID for specifying the root filesystem in
> menu.lst as well as in fstab.

How do I use UUID?  I googled it for a definition, then tried apropos
uuid which found vol_id and findfs as two programs to generate uuid's.
findfs LABEL=label is unable to resolve any entry I have tried whether
device, directory or file. vol_id apparently exists only as a man page,
even apt-cache search vol_id finds nothing.

Tom