Re: Grub Question

Thomas H. George wrote:
On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 05:50:04AM +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
Just install grub on all your disks, so that your system boots irrespective of the boot order in the bios.

Also, it is better to use UUID for specifying the root filesystem in menu.lst as well as in fstab.

How do I use UUID?  I googled it for a definition, then tried apropos
uuid which found vol_id and findfs as two programs to generate uuid's.
findfs LABEL=label is unable to resolve any entry I have tried whether
device, directory or file. vol_id apparently exists only as a man page,
even apt-cache search vol_id finds nothing.

findfs UUID=<uuid>

You can use `udevinfo --query=all --name=/dev/<partition>' to get the uuid of any partition. If a filesystem does not have a uuid, you can use `tune2fs -U random' to set a random uuid to that filesystem.

Simply use root=UUID=<uuid> in menu.lst and UUID=<uuid> instead of the partition name in your fstab

                                       -- Albert Einstein