Re: USB ownership

Florian Kulzer wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 21:29:09 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
>>

>> > The problem is that the automounter cannot make a direct connection
>> > between a specific user session and the physical act of someone
>> > plugging
>> > in a new device.  It could probably be improved to make better guesses,
>> > but it's impossible to know.
>> >

>> I can understand that. Can it be automounted with more permissions, like
>> rw-rw--r for owner-group ??
>>
>> since we are both users, and both in the same group, if group user could
>> be rw that would solve it, no matter who owns it. She won't use the
>> command like or know to look at files like fstab or mount/pmount.. she
>> just wants to plug it in and copy files to/from it.
>
> How can one user unmount the device cleanly if it has been mounted for
> the other user?

I do it by including the 'users' mount option in fstab

see man mount

----
       For more details, see fstab(5).  Only the user that mounted a
filesystem can unmount it again.  If any user should be able to
       unmount, then use users instead of user in the fstab line.  The owner
option is similar to the user option, with the restric‐
       tion that the user must be the owner of the special file. This may be
useful e.g. for /dev/fd if a  login  script  makes  the
       console  user  owner  of  this device.  The group option is similar,
with the restriction that the user must be member of the
       group of the special file.
----