Re: Non-Debian Provided Packages

Paul Johnson wrote:
Jason C. Wells wrote:
Is it advisable to install non-Debian provided packages?
For example .deb files are out for openoffice3 but they haven't made
their way to lenny yet.  It seems like the Sun provided .deb files
aren't quite so slick with handling dependencies.  That or I am
missing some important bit of understanding on how .debs work.
Generally, not advisable.  OOo3 is in experimental right now if you're
looking for the Debian package for that.
While I love apt for most things, I've installed lots of non-debian packages, using the basic configure; make; make install approach. For many packages, that's the only way to get the latest version. I've yet to get Sympa to work from its .deb, for example.

Miles Fidelman