Re: USB ownership

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 07:53:42 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> My wife plugged in a USB stick, to save a file to it. It would not let
> her save a file, permission denied. I looked at the ownership of
> /media/disk ( /dev/sdg1) and it showed me as the owner with group as root:
> pbc@paulandcilla:/media$ ls -l /media/disk
> total 208
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 pbc root  36352 2008-10-02 21:19 FILE_1
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 pbc root  16408 2008-10-02 21:39 FILE_2
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 pbc root 104960 2008-10-17 07:00 FILE_3
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 pbc root  12830 2008-10-17 07:00 FILE_4
>
> I am logged in first, vt7, she is logged in 2nd, vt8, and when I
> switched to my login, there was the disk window open ( /media/disk).
>
> What do I have to do to get it to recognize her as the owner, when she
> plugs in a USB stick in her login?

If you found that your session had a disk window open then your session
(and hence your user) must have automounted the medium. For your user,
go to

Control Center > Peripherals > Storage Media

then click the "Notifications" tab and select "Unmounted Removable
Medium" from the "Media types:" combobox. You will probably see "Open in
New Window (Auto Action)"; you have to change that so that "Do Nothing"
is the auto action.

Then I would make sure that both users get an icon on their desktop when
a removable medium is plugged in. You can do that in

Control Center > Desktop > Behavior

on the "Device Icons" tab. Make sure that "Show device icons",
"Unmounted Removable Medium" and "Mounted Removable Medium" are checked.
With this configuration both users should see an icon appear on their
desktop and whoever has the active session and clicks on the icon will
have the medium mounted and opened for them. Unmounting can be done from
the right-click context menu of the icon.

          Florian   |