Re: Filing bug reports in Debian (was Re: Debian Stole My Name!)

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> 1) I'm a writer by avocation.  Honestly, it's much easier for me to
> write a 5,000 word email than a 500 word one.  I'll refer you to
> Churchill's quotation about how long it would take him to write a long
> speech vs. a short one.

Have that added to your signature.  Most people around here will assume you
spent a lot of time writing many words instead of actually doing something
about whatever the issue you are writing about is.

And, as you noticed, that is detrimental when you want to make (or convey) a
point of view, here.

As for the "send a patch", well, it is still true even if you are a writer:
Write a proper, consise text that we could add to the BTS cover pages and to
reportbug, explaining why Debian cannot deal well with the BTS being used as
a help-desk.  In that text, make sure to point the user to the proper
channel for help-desk-level reports (i.e. the debian-user* mailinglists).
File a bug against the package "bugs.debian.org" with that text, priority
wishlist.

THAT would improve things, I hope.

  Henrique Holschuh