Re: Hard Drive Spin Down

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Sam Leon wrote:
>>> Hmm, sounded like a good idea but with the drive unmounted and spun
>>> down, it still spins up right before a shut down or a reboot. :(
>>
>> Hmmm, very puzzling.  I'd ask lkml.

Not puzziling at all.  Most HDs have utter crap inside that is too dumb to
flush caches that are already flushed without waking up, and which is too
dumb to wake up without spinning up the platter.

Try actually hot-unplugging it from the logical bus (I don't mean unplugging
it physically).  hdparm can do it for ide (but it is NOT safe on all setups,
do it on your own risk).  If it is SATA or, it is PATA on a controller that
is handled by libpata (i.e. the disk shows up as if it was a scsi disk, i.e.
/dev/sd*), then you are supposed to be able to hotunplug safely using
"scsiadd -r", for example.

  Henrique Holschuh