Re: Filing bug reports in Debian (was Re: Debian Stole My Name!)

On Thursday 16 October 2008, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > 1) I'm a writer by avocation.  Honestly, it's much easier for me to
> > write a 5,000 word email than a 500 word one.  I'll refer you to
> > Churchill's quotation about how long it would take him to write a
> > long speech vs. a short one.
>
> Have that added to your signature.  Most people around here will
> assume you spent a lot of time writing many words instead of actually
> doing something about whatever the issue you are writing about is.
>
> And, as you noticed, that is detrimental when you want to make (or
> convey) a point of view, here.
>
> As for the "send a patch", well, it is still true even if you are a
> writer: Write a proper, consise text that we could add to the BTS
> cover pages and to reportbug, explaining why Debian cannot deal well
> with the BTS being used as a help-desk.  In that text, make sure to
> point the user to the proper channel for help-desk-level reports
> (i.e. the debian-user* mailinglists). File a bug against the package
> "bugs.debian.org" with that text, priority wishlist.
>
> THAT would improve things, I hope.

I'll consider it an improvement if enough devs, on Debian AND elsewhere,
read this thread, get the point, and remember that if you're going to
ask for bug reports, it makes a difference how you treat those willing
to file them -- and to look at it from their point of view when you're
reading the report.

Hal