Re: Installed KDE 4.1 - and lost my settings

Osamu Aoki a écrit :
On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 08:10:29PM -0300, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
Hi,

    I was feeling bored by the freeze, so I decided to install KDE 4.1
from experimental. I installed the packages, it is running apparently
fine, but... where did all my settings go? I started with a completely
empty desktop, without even a panel with the "K" menu, taskbar, etc, and
user-preference settings (such as left-handed mouse, focus follow mouse,
etc.) are all gone.

    Is this "start from zero" behaviour normal?

Hi,

[My experience] I did just that a few days ago, using "aptitude -t experimental install" to pull down kde4 - kde4-minimal - kdm (and gimp2.6...) from experimental. As said on the debian kde wiki I added to my /etc/apt/preferences the correct pinning to get this packages, and only these, updated with a "aptitude full-upgrade". If you are running Lenny you need "Sid" too.

http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/experimental.html

the other way round the problem is using the kde4 backport repository for Lenny :

http://kde4.debian.net/

kde4 is not really stable yet, that's another story and not a surprising one since it's "experimental", but it's definitely usable for testing purpose.

kde uses a completly different set of preferences under ~/.kde4 and /etc/kde4 and a few other locations. Most settings that are kde3 related can't be migrated since kde4 uses a lot of different technical solutions which are not retro-compatible with kde3. For example kde3 themes aren't usable, "kicker" is replaced by "plasma", "kcontrol" by "systemsettings", the desktop can no longer support icons (or ".desktop" files) ... so on so forth.

So expect to start from scratch with most DE related settings, of course your core system settings won't be affected.

Of course I can have completely missed the "do-it-all" apps that can migrates all kde3 settings to the new kde4 framework, but I doubt it...

[/My experience].

Tom