Etch 4.0r4a desktop how to set resolution and refresh rate?

debian-user:

I installed Debian Etch 4.0r4a this afternoon, using the Desktop package choice. I am wondering how to set the screen resolution and refresh rate. Right-clicking on the desktop brings up a menu that doesn't seem to include such. Left-clicking on the Gnome (?) foot, looking around the menus, and trying what would seem to be likely candidates didn't help. STFW, including the Debian website and debian-user mailing list archive, gives hits referring to doing math and editing X configuration files and/or using desktop utilities from previous Debian versions that no longer exist.

How do I change the screen resolution and refresh rate on Debian Etch 4.0r4a?

Is there complete and current documentation for Etch 4.0r4a?

TIA,

David