Re: Installed KDE 4.1 - and lost my settings

Osamu Aoki wrote:
> As I understand,  experimental is "NotAutomatic: yes" archive, its pin
> is 1.
>
> Thus you must explicitly select package to install ones from it.  I
> guess you installed some KDE 4.1 packages but you have not updated
> others.  Thus funny desktop.
>
> Simply having experimental in apt-line may not be enough.
>
> If you enable all experimental, you may be hit by random problem.  So I
> recommend you to enable one by one for all  KDE 4.1 packages.

Indeed, I had to select packages one by one, and mark their dependencies
which are available one by one. But as of now, it seems everything is
installed (the desktop is running fine).

There was a problem with the installation, in the first time I did not
upgrade everything, and I only got the splash screen and nothing more.
It was solved by hunting other packages to upgrade.

This seems to have caused part of the problem: I tested with a new user
(empty home), and a KDE 4 session starts with a panel on the bottom of
the screen with the K menu, pager, task list, clock, etc.

On the other hand, even copying the old .kde directory (KDE 4 in Debian
is using .kde4) into a new user, and starting KDE 4 does not import
settings --- I get the same default desktop environment, and no user
preferences were imported.

--
This is National Non-Dairy Creamer Week.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb