Re: Installed KDE 4.1 - and lost my settings

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 08:10:29PM -0300, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I was feeling bored by the freeze, so I decided to install KDE 4.1
> from experimental. I installed the packages, it is running apparently
> fine, but... where did all my settings go? I started with a completely
> empty desktop, without even a panel with the "K" menu, taskbar, etc, and
> user-preference settings (such as left-handed mouse, focus follow mouse,
> etc.) are all gone.
>
>     Is this "start from zero" behaviour normal?

normal --> No

I did not try this and your description is too vague to be sure.  But
here is my guess.

expected --> sort of yes.

As I understand,  experimental is "NotAutomatic: yes" archive, its pin
is 1.

Thus you must explicitly select package to install ones from it.  I
guess you installed some KDE 4.1 packages but you have not updated
others.  Thus funny desktop.

Simply having experimental in apt-line may not be enough.

If you enable all experimental, you may be hit by random problem.  So I
recommend you to enable one by one for all  KDE 4.1 packages.

More on
http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html

Osamu