Re: Debian Stole My Name!

Hal Vaughan wrote:
> I'm setting up a new Etch system and just got to the point where it asks
> me for a username.  All my life I've used my first name, Hal, as a
> username (although in all lower case).
>
> Etch won't let me do this.  I did it in Sarge, did it in earlier
> versions, did it in Mandrake, Redhat, and also use it in Ubuntu.  And
> now Etch won't let me use "hal" as a login name.

I'm running Etch and it lets me add user hal:
% sudo adduser hal
Adding user `hal' ...
Adding new group `hal' (1003) ...
Adding new user `hal' (1003) with group `hal' ...
Creating home directory `/home/hal' ...
Copying files from `/etc/skel' ...
New UNIX password:

% getent passwd
hal:x:1003:1003::/home/hal:/bin/bash

Uname says:
Linux viilipytty 2.6.22-4-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Feb 12 10:29:27 UTC 2008 x86_64
GNU/Linux

and /etc/debian_version: 4.0

Tried that on another Etch box. Works ok, too. :/

--
Juha Tuuna