Re: Debian Stole My Name!

On Friday 10 October 2008, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Fri,10.Oct.08, 01:50:56, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > I'm setting up a new Etch system and just got to the point where it
> > asks me for a username.  All my life I've used my first name, Hal,
> > as a username (although in all lower case).
> >
> > Etch won't let me do this.  I did it in Sarge, did it in earlier
> > versions, did it in Mandrake, Redhat, and also use it in Ubuntu.
> > And now Etch won't let me use "hal" as a login name.
>
> It works on sid (and probably also lenny):
>
> # LANG=C adduser hal
> Adding user `hal' ...
> Adding new group `hal' (1002) ...
> Adding new user `hal' (1002) with group `hal' ...
> Creating home directory `/home/hal' ...
> Copying files from `/etc/skel' ...
> Enter new UNIX password:
> Retype new UNIX password:
> passwd: password updated successfully
> Changing the user information for hal
> Enter the new value, or press ENTER for the default
> 	Full Name []:
> 	Room Number []:
> 	Work Phone []:
> 	Home Phone []:
> 	Other []:
> Is the information correct? [Y/n]
> #
>
> What is the error message you get?

I'm not using adduser, which may be part of the issue.  I'm doing an
install through netboot and I run into this when it asks me for a user
besides root to create an account.  I use "hal" as the username and the
response is that I can't use it because it's reserved for the system.

Maybe it's used during setup and eventually removed at the end of the
install.

When I get it running, I'll see if I can add a user with my name with
adduser.

Hal