Re: setting a static ip on a dhcp account

Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Sat,04.Oct.08, 08:40:49, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
>> Hi all (especially Ron Johnson),
>>         On another thread Ron said, "Yes.  My router gets a routable
>>         "external" IP
>> address from the ISP, but I had to also give it an "internal",
>> non-routable IP address (which I chose to be 192.168.1.251).
>>
>> My question is: can you explain the steps needed to do this? I don't know
>> if it's something I can configure on my machine or if I have to change
>> some settings on the modem/router.
>
> Most routers I have dealt with come with a preconfigured internal IP
> (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1). Changing this is very specific to
> a given router/firmware, so we will not be able to help here unless you
> specify exactly what model/firmware you are running.
Hi Andrei,
Thanks for the answer. Yes, this modem has an internal address of
192.168.1.1 I also notice that I seem to always get the ip 192.168.1.70
which doesn't seem to change. My partner, connected to the same modem
always gets 192.168.1.62 . Since I am very inexperienced using DHCP
connections I have no idea if this is normal or not or if I can consider
this my static ip. I think Telecom Italia does its best to hide the
manufacturer of the modem. When I use a web interface for configuring the
modem I find the following information:
Name: Alice Gate 2 plus Wi-Fi
Hardware: L1
Software: AGA_3.2.4
Smartcard: Active (yes, there is a smart card you have to insert into the
modem.

>> A supplementary question for any Italian speaker out there.
>> I moved to Italy about a month ago and I have an Alice 7 Mega account
>> along with a Telecom Italia Alice wifi-modem. There is zero documentation
>> except for a stupid CD that only gives information for Windows (and a
>> tiny bit for Mac) but nothing for Linux. I am learning Italian as fast as
>> I can but I need some help in configuring the modem for port forwarding.
>> This can be done off list (unless people feel it would be in the general
>> interest to do it on list). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Same as above. Alice wifi-modem doesn't say anything to me. More helpful
> would be to specify who built the modem and whatever other model number
> and revision is printed on it.
Yeah, I'd love to know this information myself. I don't believe Telecom
Italia is in the modem building business but I can't find any trace of a
manufacturer or model number on the modem itself. What passes for
documentation is no help either. Frankly I'm stumped.
Thanks again,
Jonathan