Re: setting a static ip on a dhcp account

On Sat,04.Oct.08, 08:40:49, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
> Hi all (especially Ron Johnson),
>         On another thread Ron said, "Yes.  My router gets a routable "external" IP
> address from the ISP, but I had to also give it an "internal", non-routable
> IP address (which I chose to be 192.168.1.251).
>
> My question is: can you explain the steps needed to do this? I don't know if
> it's something I can configure on my machine or if I have to change some
> settings on the modem/router.

Most routers I have dealt with come with a preconfigured internal IP
(usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1). Changing this is very specific to
a given router/firmware, so we will not be able to help here unless you
specify exactly what model/firmware you are running.

> A supplementary question for any Italian speaker out there.
> I moved to Italy about a month ago and I have an Alice 7 Mega account along
> with a Telecom Italia Alice wifi-modem. There is zero documentation except
> for a stupid CD that only gives information for Windows (and a tiny bit for
> Mac) but nothing for Linux. I am learning Italian as fast as I can but I
> need some help in configuring the modem for port forwarding. This can be
> done off list (unless people feel it would be in the general interest to do
> it on list). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Same as above. Alice wifi-modem doesn't say anything to me. More helpful
would be to specify who built the modem and whatever other model number
and revision is printed on it.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)