Re: setting a static ip on a dhcp account

On Sat,04.Oct.08, 08:40:49, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
> Hi all (especially Ron Johnson),
>         On another thread Ron said, "Yes.  My router gets a routable "external" IP
> address from the ISP, but I had to also give it an "internal", non-routable
> IP address (which I chose to be
> My question is: can you explain the steps needed to do this? I don't know if
> it's something I can configure on my machine or if I have to change some
> settings on the modem/router.
Most routers I have dealt with come with a preconfigured internal IP
(usually or Changing this is very specific to
a given router/firmware, so we will not be able to help here unless you
specify exactly what model/firmware you are running.

> A supplementary question for any Italian speaker out there.
> I moved to Italy about a month ago and I have an Alice 7 Mega account along
> with a Telecom Italia Alice wifi-modem. There is zero documentation except
> for a stupid CD that only gives information for Windows (and a tiny bit for
> Mac) but nothing for Linux. I am learning Italian as fast as I can but I
> need some help in configuring the modem for port forwarding. This can be
> done off list (unless people feel it would be in the general interest to do
> it on list). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Same as above. Alice wifi-modem doesn't say anything to me. More helpful
would be to specify who built the modem and whatever other model number
and revision is printed on it.

(Albert Einstein)