Re: mdadm raid5 giving me heartburn.....

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 02:52:58PM -0400, Michael Habashy wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Michael Habashy <mjh2000@gmail.com> wrote:
> > further, when i try to execute any of these mdadm commands on the
> > /dev/mdX devices, I get errors like:
> > mdadm: fail to stop array /dev/md0: Device or resource busy

you don;t need to stop the array - you will not be able to you are using
it!.

You can hot add a disk back to an array mdam -A /dev/mdX <disk>, do a
man mdadm search for hot add

> > How can i get past them ?? did i miss a step ???
> >
> > I keep on seeing debian LiveCD , what is that ? how will this help ??
> > is the is the regular debian cd, but in rescue mode ???
> >
> > the layout of my drives is such:
> >
> > 500g /dev/sda1,/dev/sda5,/dev/sda6
> > 500g /dev/sdb1,/dev/sdb5,/dev/sdb6
> > 400g /dev/sdc5
> > 400g /dev/sdd5
> >
> > md0 = 300meg = /boot
> > md1 = 10gig = swap
> > md2 = 400gig =/

[snip]

> Just for your information, the current state of my drives are :
>
> root@rider:~# cat /proc/mdstat
> Personalities : [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
> md1 : active raid5 sdc5[1] sdd5[2]
>       781417344 blocks level 5, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [3/2] [_UU]

currently md1 has only 2 drives associated with the raid5, the above
says you are missing a drive

> md2 : active raid1 sda6[0]
>       9767424 blocks [2/1] [U_]

again missing a drive

> md0 : active raid1 sda1[0]
>       289024 blocks [2/1] [U_]

again missing a drive

If these are new drives and a new machine you should be safe to reboot
(but backup any stuff you don't want to loose).

it looks like you have lost sdb

do a

smartctl --all /dev/sdb | less

it will give you access to the smart info on the device, have a look
through /var/log/syslog for anything relating to sdb to give you a hint
of what might have happened

once you have backuped up all your must not loose stuff, reboot, I am
guessing you will be okay ( I would if i was in your case, but I take no
responsibility thought :) )

Maybe the drive will come back on reboot/ maybe not, but it will give
you more info on what to do with sdb

if you don;t trust it go out and but a new sdb and install it.

you will be able to add the sdb back into the mdX with mdadm -A /dev/mdX
<parition>

do a man/google for mdadm hot add, smarttools smartctl

Good luck

<Remember all care/ no responsibility>