Some instructions needed for using Debian windows installer

I'm trying to install debian with the Lenny Beta 2 netinst on my T23 Thinkpad which presently has Windows xp. I've done lots of Debian installs before but this is my first time trying to use the installer from Windows XP. I am blind and decided to try this method because I would need a sighted person to help me go into the bios and make my cdrom bootable, though I do intend to do so eventually.

I can do the setup part just fine; I insert the cd and the setup comes up and I can follow the instructions with my windows screenreader. My problem is that once I reboot, I'll have no braille or speech until I either enter it at the boot prompt or, if I miss that, use the alst-f2 to go to a shell and type in the command for my braille display. I actually managed to do this once successfully but I was just experimenting to make sure I could do it and had to stop and rescue important items from my XP install before continuing; when I tried to do it again, I couldn't seem to replicate my previous success.

What I need to know, if somebody has done this and can tell me, is:
when the computer reboots after setup has run, do I need to do something to choose debian almost immediately when the cdrom starts up or can I/should I wait any length of time? If my first step is choosing debian, do I hit enter or arrow once and hit enter or what do I do to choose debian? What other steps are there between choosing debian and finding myself at the menu that allows me to choose configuring my wireless network, partitioning, etc. etc. etc.? I need to know any steps in between in order and what I do at each as far as arrowing or hiting enter. It would be especially helpful to know at what point a boot prompt comes up so I can enter the parameters for starting my braille display. Once I have done this, I shouldn't have any further trouble knowing what's on the screen; I do need to know the steps up to reaching the menu so that if I miss entering my parameters at the boot prompt I can still open a shell and get my braille up and running.

If anybody remembers this process well enough to give me directions or is willing to go through those steps and write them down for me, I would be very appreciative.

Tia.

--
Cheryl