Re: mdadm raid5 giving me heartburn.....

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 4:23 AM, Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 02:52:58PM -0400, Michael Habashy wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Michael Habashy <mjh2000@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > further, when i try to execute any of these mdadm commands on the
>> > /dev/mdX devices, I get errors like:
>> > mdadm: fail to stop array /dev/md0: Device or resource busy
>
> you don;t need to stop the array - you will not be able to you are using
> it!.
>
> You can hot add a disk back to an array mdam -A /dev/mdX <disk>, do a
> man mdadm search for hot add
>

>> > How can i get past them ?? did i miss a step ???
>> >
>> > I keep on seeing debian LiveCD , what is that ? how will this help ??
>> > is the is the regular debian cd, but in rescue mode ???
>> >
>> > the layout of my drives is such:
>> >
>> > 500g /dev/sda1,/dev/sda5,/dev/sda6
>> > 500g /dev/sdb1,/dev/sdb5,/dev/sdb6
>> > 400g /dev/sdc5
>> > 400g /dev/sdd5
>> >
>> > md0 = 300meg = /boot
>> > md1 = 10gig = swap
>> > md2 = 400gig =/
>> >

> [snip]
>

>> Just for your information, the current state of my drives are :
>>
>> root@rider:~# cat /proc/mdstat
>> Personalities : [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
>> md1 : active raid5 sdc5[1] sdd5[2]
>>       781417344 blocks level 5, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [3/2] [_UU]
>
> currently md1 has only 2 drives associated with the raid5, the above
> says you are missing a drive
>

>> md2 : active raid1 sda6[0]
>>       9767424 blocks [2/1] [U_]
>
> again missing a drive
>

>> md0 : active raid1 sda1[0]
>>       289024 blocks [2/1] [U_]
>
> again missing a drive
>

> If these are new drives and a new machine you should be safe to reboot
> (but backup any stuff you don't want to loose).
>
> it looks like you have lost sdb
>
> do a
>
> smartctl --all /dev/sdb | less
>
> it will give you access to the smart info on the device, have a look
> through /var/log/syslog for anything relating to sdb to give you a hint
> of what might have happened
>
> once you have backuped up all your must not loose stuff, reboot, I am
> guessing you will be okay ( I would if i was in your case, but I take no
> responsibility thought :) )
>
> Maybe the drive will come back on reboot/ maybe not, but it will give
> you more info on what to do with sdb
>
> if you don;t trust it go out and but a new sdb and install it.
>
> you will be able to add the sdb back into the mdX with mdadm -A /dev/mdX
> <parition>
>

> do a man/google for mdadm hot add, smarttools smartctl
>
> Good luck
>

> <Remember all care/ no responsibility>
>

>> unused devices: <none>
>>

>> --
>>

> --
>        The Martian landed his saucer in Manhattan, and immediately upon
> emerging was approached by a panhandler.  "Mister," said the man, "can I
> have a quarter?"
>        The Martian asked, "What's a quarter?"
> [...]
i agree -- i am using it...and everytime i try to do something to the
array it tells me that it is in use.  Can you help me ??? What
proceedure can i do so that it is not in use?? do i use a LiveCD ????

I think the issue is a software issue with my drive - how can i format
it and get it ready to join the array??? what are the steps ?????

thanks
mjh