Re: where is ath9k?

Wayne Topa wrote:
Output of lspci -vvv
00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR2413 802.11bg NIC
(rev 01)
        Subsystem: AMBIT Microsystem Corp. Unknown device 0418
        Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 3
        Region 0: Memory at e2010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
[size=64K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel modules: ath5k

Hmm. That's a little worrying. "disabled"? "access denied"?
Here's what I found on the Madwifi compatibility page:
Atheros AR5005G ¶
Chipset:        AR5005G = (AR2413)
Chip:   AR2413 (802.11b+g)
Supports:       IEEE 802.11b, 802.11g
Working:        not working with version 0.9.2, dmesg reports: "unable to attach
hardware: 'Hardware revision not supported' (HAL status 13)"

Notes:  Several tickets indicate this; no response was ever given. However,
some users have reported success, but could not confirm this.

Notes:  Works perfectly on Slackware 11 (kernel 2.6.18.3) and madwifi 0.9.2.
Just modprobe ath_pci after compiling/installing. (this on an Acer 3102
wlmi)

Notes:  For Kernel 2.6.22.1 use trunk version (madwifi 0.9.3.1 release
doesn't compile): svn checkout http://svn.madwifi.org/madwifi/trunk
madwifi . That works perfectly (I'm running Slackware 12 on Acer 3102wlmi).

Notes:  SMC PCI card: OK for Slackware 12.1 (kernel 2.6.25.2), with
madwifi-0.9.4

Notes:  I can confirm that this chipset works great with the madwifi-ng
drivers on Debian Testing. Also monitor mode.

Notes:  chipset is AR1423, as you can see through URL

Notes:  This chipset works on the Acer Aspire 5040 if you install the
acer_acpi driver http://www.archernar.co.uk/acer_acpi/acer_acpi_main.html

Notes:  Works on the Acer Aspire 3053 if you reload the modules (see
http://rik.rikva.nl/?q=node/10) and then run depmod -a (as root)

Notes:  Works on the Acer Aspire 5051 using madwifi source pulled 2006-12-18
(OpenSuSE 10.2/x86_64)

Notes:  Works on the Acer Aspire 5100 using madwifi source (Mandriva
2007.0/x86_64)

Notes:  Cheap Ativa card works ok in gentoo. /etc/init.d/net.athx start does
not ifconfig athx up the device, so preferred wireless won't work

Notes:  Works out of the box with Ubuntu 7.10 and 6.06

This all seems quite confusing, as many answers as there are different
notes.

Acer calls this 802.11b/g Wireless LAN. I assume that is the wireless
adapter. Is it something else. Sorry to be ignorant. I have never used wifi
before as you can see.

I hope this is all the information you requested. Sorry to be so thick about
all this.
Thanks for your patience,
Jonathan