Ugly java applet fonts

Hello dear list users,
as the problem with nvidia is gone, it's time to fight another issue.
>From time to time I play java games on various sites, mainly
http://www.kurnik.pl. For a long time there was no 64 bit java plugin,
so I used chrooted sun java plugin. But now I don't have to use it
anymore:
ii  icedtea-gcjwebplugin            1.0-2
Java plugin based on IcedTea and gcjwebplugin
ii  openjdk-6-jre                   6b11-6
OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT
ii  openjdk-6-jre-headless          6b11-6
OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT (headless)
ii  openjdk-6-jre-lib               6b11-6
OpenJDK Java runtime (architecture independent libraries)

And it basically works. Basically, with one exception - fonts in java
applets look ugly. They don't seem to be antialiased, their shapes are
distorted. Readable, though, but very ugly.

What can I do to improve their look? Should I install anything? What
should I do to debug the reason?
In my KDE Debian GNU/Linux system all other fonts look fine.

Regards,
Robert