where is ath9k?

Hi all,
I'm trying to set up a wifi driver on an Acer Aspire 3500 running Debian
Lenny 2.6.25 with a 802.11b/g wlan. I did some heavy-duty googling and
found the madwifi website which then said that Atheros had taken over the
drivers and released the code. It seems I need an ath9k driver and that I
get it from atheros. This led me to the Linux Wireless website. I found a
link to the ath9k driver here:
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k#Getthecode
The link on the above page is:
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download
and of course that link is broken. Aaarggghhh.
I then followed this link
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download
and found the compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2 tarball. I got the latest version
which (I think) was 6 August 2008. I followed the instructions and built
the drivers but no ath9k! aaarrggghhhh.
I loaded the drivers per the instructions and there is mac80211 and ath5k
but no ath9k.
At this link
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k
I found the following instructions:
Enabling ath9k
To enable ath9k, you must first enable mac80211:
I'm not sure what "enable" means in this context but I modprobed mac80211
and it shows up in the lsmod list. Next came the very cryptic instructions:
Networking  --->
  Wireless  --->
    <M> Improved wireless configuration API
    <M> Generic IEEE 802.11 Networking Stack (mac80211)
This seems to involve some sort of software but I haven't a clue what it
wants me to do. I am in a hopeless muddle now.

Can anyone give me some hints here.
Thanks,
Jonathan