Re: Using Logitech Quickcam on Debian 4.0

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 12:05:11PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 02:21:13AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >
> >> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:58:15 -0700
> >> From: Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com>
> >> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >> Subject: Re: Using Logitech Quickcam on Debian 4.0

> >> no. it just builds the drivers.

> >> I've lost track of the beginning of this thread, but on the assumption
> >> that the driver works and provides appropriate devices, there are a
> >> number of programs that would capture video. What have you tried? I
> >> suspect that at a minimum, ffmped and mendcoder could do it and there
> >> are surely others.
> >>
> >> I believe mencoder can do this. man mencoder.

maybe have a look at luvcview

> > Aah, yes, but the problem, having found mencoder, is in trying to
> > install it.
> >
> > I found a package of it, and downloaded it, and the following show
> > attempts to install it.
> >
> > I had to run Synaptic, to repair my system, and mencoder got broken, and
> > apparently, some other packages got removed or something, and had to be
> > reinstalled due to the installation having failed.
> >
> > dpkg -i mencoder_1.0-rc1svn20070225-0.3etch1_i386.deb
>
> umm... why are you manually installing mencoder? You should use your
> package manager to install it. mencoder is available from the regular
> apt repos. you may have better luck though with the mencoder from

Um, from memory it is at http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ and afiak
they are not official deb repo's

> debian-multimedia as it will have some of the non-free stuff. It's
> been a while though since I compared mencoder versions, so that's old
> info.

While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
		-- Edgar Allan Poe, "The Raven"

	[Quoted in "VMS Internals and Data Structures", V4.4, when
	 referring to hardware interrupts.]

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine.
		-- William Wordsworth, "She Was a Phantom of Delight"

	[Quoted in "VMS Internals and Data Structures", V4.4, when
	 referring to software interrupts.]