Re: Using Logitech Quickcam on Debian 4.0

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 02:21:13AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
>> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:58:15 -0700
>> From: Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com>
>> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>> Subject: Re: Using Logitech Quickcam on Debian 4.0
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 06:42:11PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>>
>>> Okay.
>>>
>>> Running m-a a-i qc-usb might have been easy, but it does not result in
>>> an application that I can run.
>>
>> no. it just builds the drivers.
>>

>>> I still do not have an application that runs on Debian 4.0, that will
>>> allow me to record video with sound, from the Logitech QuickCam
>>> Communicate STX.
>>
>> I've lost track of the beginning of this thread, but on the assumption
>> that the driver works and provides appropriate devices, there are a
>> number of programs that would capture video. What have you tried? I
>> suspect that at a minimum, ffmped and mendcoder could do it and there
>> are surely others.
>>> does a
>>> converter exist for Debian 4.0, that can convert .wmv files into .mpeg
>>> files, so that the files cam be platform independent?
>>
>> I believe mencoder can do this. man mencoder.
>>

> Aah, yes, but the problem, having found mencoder, is in trying to
> install it.
>
> I found a package of it, and downloaded it, and the following show
> attempts to install it.
>
> I had to run Synaptic, to repair my system, and mencoder got broken, and
> apparently, some other packages got removed or something, and had to be
> reinstalled due to the installation having failed.
>
> dpkg -i mencoder_1.0-rc1svn20070225-0.3etch1_i386.deb

umm... why are you manually installing mencoder? You should use your
package manager to install it. mencoder is available from the regular
apt repos. you may have better luck though with the mencoder from
debian-multimedia as it will have some of the non-free stuff. It's
been a while though since I compared mencoder versions, so that's old
info.