Re: Using Logitech Quickcam on Debian 4.0

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008, Shachar Or wrote:

On Saturday 09 August 2008 08:14, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 11:37:47AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
On Sat, 9 Aug 2008, Shachar Or wrote:
there is both a gspca-source and gspca-modules-... packages. IIRC, the
spca5xx is being replaced upstream...

All this talk about spca... Isn't there a quickcam specific driver? I
know there is... qc-usb-source is the package. I used for some logitech
quickcam some time ago.

That's what I thought, when I was reading the list of packages found by
Synaptic, when I searched for webcam.

However, ... we are all of differing levels of Debian system
administration competency, and I rely on packages being "ready to go" -
either using Synaptic to download and install a package, and then
expecting for it to be ready to use, or, using apt-get install, or,
downloading a package and using dpkg -i . But, not having to compile and
build a package.

I found
"The qc-usb-source package is a skeleton for creating a kernel module
to drive Logitech's QuickCam Express webcam and other webcams with
similar chipsets."
and
"qc-usb-utils
Utility programs for the qc-usb kernel module
Utilities to tweak paramters of your QuickCam Express or similar
webcam. These programs are completely useless without a
qc-usb-modules package."

That sounds like that needs a kernel build to use - much too advanced
for me.

no no not at all. you can use module assistant, I'd bet.I just
checked, it is one of the packages you can build with
module-assistant.

at a minimum, you can do:

aptitude install module-assistant
m-a update
m-a prepare
m-a a-i qc-usb

if all goes well, you'll be done.

module-assistant also has a curses interface you can play with. Be
sure to check out /usr/share/doc/module-assistant/HOWTO

it's very easy.

Very.

Okay.

Running m-a a-i qc-usb might have been easy, but it does not result in an application that I can run.

I still do not have an application that runs on Debian 4.0, that will allow me to record video with sound, from the Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX.

So, I booted the laptop into Windows XP, and installed the software that came with the webcam, and got that running, but the video files that that creates, are only in the .wmv file format, and the only application that I have on Debian 4.0, that can read .wmv files, is xine, and, whilst that plays the sound, it does things to the video component, that are like what I imagine an acid trip to be like; kind of like a "Lucy in the sky with diamonds" kind of thing.

If I cannot run the webcam with Debian 4.0, to record videoclips, does a converter exist for Debian 4.0, that can convert .wmv files into .mpeg files, so that the files cam be platform independent?

Apart from the desire to be able to use the webcam to make video files (and, video calls) on Linux, I have a relative who uses a Mac, and I don't know that .wmv files can be viewed on a Mac.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."