Re: New Debian Install Blackscreen

On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 02:46:44AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 08/09/08 00:32, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> there are several ways to go about this. What you need to do first,
>> I think, is find out which video driver is trying to run that
>> card. Realise that the 8xxx series cards are having lots of trouble
>> with the nvidia drivers. I've given up on getting decent 2d
>> performance for now and moved back to the nv driver. But that's
>> another story.
>
> I think that's because they don't have internal frame buffers, but are
> strongly tuned towards DX10 performance.

I wouldn't know about that. The nvnews thread about sucky drivers for
the 8xxx cards is quite long now. Some people seem to be getting
improved performance out of 177 beta, but some people seem to be
getting no improvement at all.

I was playing around with fun stuff... compositing and so forth but
have subsequently given up... just a distraction anyway. I honestly
thought that nv wouldn't do xrandr and dual head. I was wrong. I'm
happy now. I've turned off all the glitzy stuff and gotten back to
work.

I suppose nouveau might fix some of that. When they claim even
rudimentary support for the series, I'll try it out.

I sort of regret buying the card. I knew there were problems with it,
but figured it wouldn't be that big a deal and the fix would be out
sooner or later. shrug.