New Debian Install Blackscreen

I am a fairly new linux user, and have recently installed Debian on its own hard
disk in what will eventually become a dual-boot system.  The Windows drive is
currently not connected, so that isn't a factor.  My graphics card is an nvidia
8800 gts.

My problem is that when I start up Debian, I get the initialization screen, which
runs fully, and disappears just after GNOME starts up.  I then get what I think
is a password-prompt beep from the motherboard, but the monitor remains off,
which is how it normally handles being given an incorrect resolution.

I can, however, successfully log into the single-user root option that grub gives
me, and get a fully functioning terminal.  My question is how to go about setting
GNOME into VGA (or some low resolution) through the terminal.

Thanks in advance,

Taahir
---- Msg sent via Internet America Webmail - www.internetamerica.com