Re: [OT] Setting up getmail to retrieve mails from gmail [Was: Re: [OT] GMail troubles [Was: Re: du-guidelines - point 7]]

On Mon Jul 28 2008 @  8:48, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 15:33:36 -0400
> Telemachus <telemachus@ld.net.au> wrote:
>
> Hello Telemachus,
>
> > that looks for a mail with the same title in your sent folder and
>
> That could be risky;  If Arvind writes multiple messages in a thread,
> checking Subject alone is insufficient to be sure the message being
> deleted is the correct one.  That's why I suggested M-ID: which is
> unique.

You are absolutely right. I was hand-waving rather than giving a proper
solution. To really do it right, given Arvind's specific requests (keep the
sent copy, wait for the mail to be received, then clean the corresponding
copy from the Sent folder) really is more complicated than it seems at
first. Sorry if I was glib.

I don't believe that Mutt by itself can do what you described. It sounds
more to me like a multi-part problem:

(1) Have procmail scan for messages that are from Arvind himself & to this
user list.
(2) When such a mail is found, execute a script (let's go with Perl).
(3) The Perl script receives the ID from procmail (maybe as an argument?),
then it runs through the mails in the Sent folder. If it finds a matching
ID on a mail, it deletes that item.

I'll be curious to know if anyone has a way to do this just with Mutt, but
it strikes me that Mutt doesn't have "received-hooks" quite like what this
would need.

(Apologies if this is sent twice; my email froze up and died the first time
I tried to send.)