Re: pine help

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 05:33:24PM +0000, i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:
> Arvind Marathe <bahuroopi@gmail.com> wrote:
> AM> On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 6:56 AM, i'll teach you to turn away.
> >>        for curiousity's sake, i renamed sensible-browser & then copied
> >> lynx as /usr/bin/sensible-browser, but doing so made no difference to
> >> pine.
> AM> The script /usr/bin/sensible-browser points to /usr/bin/www-browser or
> AM> /usr/bin/x-www-browser. So rather than renaming, a better option would
> AM> be to set www-browser using
> AM> update-alternatives --config www-browser
> AM> and selecting lynx.
>
> 	hm.
>
> compunction:/home/crank# update-alternatives --config www-browser
>
> There is only 1 program which provides www-browser
> (/usr/bin/links2). Nothing to configure.
>
> 	bit more help? i never actively use update-alternatives for
> anything; it's been one of those programs i only use when someone tells me
> to. ;D

I only had w3m as my text browser. And hence my www-browser was
pointing to /usr/bin/w3m. To test the system behaviour, i installed
lynx using aptitude. Now i get:

root@laasya:~# update-alternatives --config www-browser

There are 2 alternatives which provide `www-browser'.

  Selection    Alternative
          1    /usr/bin/w3m
*+        2    /usr/bin/lynx.cur

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number:

Looks like the system changed default www-browser to lynx, when it
installed lynx. Thats strange. Is this a bug?

So perhaps in your case, links2 was installed later and got selected
as www-browser. Still that does not explain why update-alternatives
does not provide lynx as an option. Maybe you can re-install lynx and
see what happens?

Arvind