Re: The (New?) xorg configuration system

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 10:18 +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> On 2008-07-23 20:06, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> > All ready covered two emails ago.
>
> Oooops, sorry for not reading the thread careful enough.
>
> > Notice I said ADVANCED options?  I find killing the touchpad while
> > typing while still using the alt and ctrl keys with out killing the
> > touchpad a useful feature as is circular scrolling.
> >
> > Once you KNOW to look under xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (really
> > intuitive, that, it should just be /usr/share/doc/synaptics, how are
> > you supposed to know to look for xserver-xorg-input-synaptics?)
>
> $ aptitude search synaptics
> i   gsynaptics                      - configuration tool for Synaptics
> touchpad
> p   libsynaptics-dev                - library to access the synaptics
> touch pad
> p   libsynaptics0                   - library to access the synaptics
> touch pad
> p   xfree86-driver-synaptics        - dummy package to upgrade to X.Org
> new mod
> v   xorg-driver-synaptics           -
> i A xserver-xorg-input-synaptics    - Synaptics TouchPad driver for
> X.Org/XFree
>
> gives you the hint.
>
> gsynaptics, by the way, is a graphical configuration tool to configure
> the touchpad 'on the fly'. I don't know if it can be used to disable the
> touchpad while typing thing, but you already found a solution.
>
> Another handy tool I use is unclutter, which hides the mouse curser
> after some time, so it doesn't get into the way while you're just reading.
>
> HTH,
>
> Johannes

I must confess, I did not do aptitude  search synaptics.  Sometimes the
basics hit you the hardest.  The gui tools do not give you the most
options, but they do work.  I tested gsynaptics out.  I prefer the good
ole text edit for more control.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com