Re: How to fix resolv.conf?

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 16:35 +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> When connecting to internet with a certain provider, I have problems with
> browsing.  Then I want to fill the file /etc/resolv.conf with the proper dns
> servers but the file changes automatically during the connection being filled
> with values different from the ones I want.
>
> Googling around I experimented many possible solutions but none worked
> (e.g. edit the file /etc/network/interfaces or /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf).
> Even putting off the write permissions over resolv.conf did not work: it must
> be created every time.
>
> Does anyone have any experience about a real solution?
>
> Thanks for any help
> Rodolfo

Rodolfo,

I don't understand your issue.  Are you using dhcp, you must be, and as
a result, your resolve.conf changes with input from the dhcp server.
Use static IP in /etc/network/interfaces, edit resolv.conf, you are
done.

Here is a copy of my files:

 cat /etc/resolv.conf
domain damtek.org
search damtek.org
nameserver 68.87.68.162
nameserver 68.87.74.162
nameserver 192.168.200.1

 cat /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
#	address 192.168.200.15
#	netmask 255.255.255.0
#	network 192.168.200.0
#	broadcast 192.168.200.255
#	gateway 192.168.200.1
	# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
	dns-nameservers 192.168.200.1
	dns-search damtek.org
	address 192.168.200.15
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	gateway 192.168.200.1

iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.200.16
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.200.1

My dns servers do not now change as a result.  If you use dhcp (and have
to use it) then in my case the name servers are given to me by my
router/dns server which gets it from the ISP.  I do not have resolveconf
package installed.  Does this help?
--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com