Re: The (New?) xorg configuration system

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:17:27 -0400
"Damon L. Chesser" <damon@damtek.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 10:18 +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> > On 2008-07-23 20:06, Damon L. Chesser wrote:

> > > Once you KNOW to look under xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (really
> > > intuitive, that, it should just be /usr/share/doc/synaptics, how are
> > > you supposed to know to look for xserver-xorg-input-synaptics?)
> >
> > $ aptitude search synaptics
> > i   gsynaptics                      - configuration tool for Synaptics
> > touchpad
> > p   libsynaptics-dev                - library to access the synaptics
> > touch pad
> > p   libsynaptics0                   - library to access the synaptics
> > touch pad
> > p   xfree86-driver-synaptics        - dummy package to upgrade to X.Org
> > new mod
> > v   xorg-driver-synaptics           -
> > i A xserver-xorg-input-synaptics    - Synaptics TouchPad driver for
> > X.Org/XFree
> >
> > gives you the hint.

I knew about the xserver-xorg-input-synaptics package; I was just
thrown by the new style of xorg.conf.  I really should have
checked /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics.

> > gsynaptics, by the way, is a graphical configuration tool to configure
> > the touchpad 'on the fly'. I don't know if it can be used to disable the
> > touchpad while typing thing, but you already found a solution.

I've played with it in the past, but I've never done much
experimentation with synaptics options.  We'll soon change that.

> > Another handy tool I use is unclutter, which hides the mouse curser
> > after some time, so it doesn't get into the way while you're just reading.

I've been using it for a while; one of the many great things I learned
from this list.

> > Johannes

> Damon L. Chesser

Celejar