Re: networking crash suddenly in my home LAN

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 08:02:58PM +0200, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> writes:

[snip]

> > /sbin/route
> >
> > when executed on the gateway machine.
>
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
> 91.102.231.32   *               255.255.255.240 U     0      0   0   eth2
> 192.168.2.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0   0   eth1
> 192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0   0   eth0
> default         46-231-102-91.r 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0   0   eth2
[snip]

can I suggest that internet not working is a very vague problem that it
could be many things.  There have been a few suggestions on what it
could be.  Try from the bottom up. ssh into the gateway machine.

Is it is connected to the internet, try ip connectivity first ping from
the gateway machine to the default gateway. try then pinging some other
address say for example your isp's dns server, try to just use ip
addresses so it will only test ip connectivity if you use names then dns
gets involved.  No guarantee that your isp's dns servers listen to ping,
I like pinging google.com (64.233.167.99) I know they reply, if this is
all working then next thing to try from the gateway machine is pinging
names, this will test weather the dns is working, its a bit harder to
watch, you will need tcpdump.

looking at your route table I would suggest something like

tcpduump -pni eth2 port 53 or host <insert the isps dns ip address here,
the first one in the resolv.conf file>

this will show you all the packets leaving via eth2 that are on port 53
(dns) or are destined or have come from you isp's dns server.

if this is working from the gateway, try it from one of the remote
machines, the tcpdump should be still run on the gateway machine

Alex