Re: Cron jobs and root account locked on Lenny

On 2008-07-23 18:46 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> I'm not an expert, but a quick read through passwd(1) says account
> expiry should be set to '1', while your 'passwd -S' shows '-1', just
> like a normal account.
>
> How about trying to lock it again?

I tried that here, and it did not help.  Probably a bug in passwd or
pam.  Didn't find anything in the BTS, but Ubuntu users see something
similar: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/shadow/+bug/238755

A comment in that bug suggests using "usermod --lock root" to lock the
root account, that does seem to work.

Sven