Re: debian/unstable: iceweasel segmentation fault

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 14:16:12 +0200, Bruno Voigt wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> > Try to run it like this:
> >
> > ICEWEASEL_DSP=none iceweasel

[...]

> That works - Great !
>
> Are you using Iceweasel with sound ?

Yes, I just let it use the ALSA devices directly. That should work with
all recent versions of ALSA without blocking other processes from
accessing the sound devices at the same time. I can hear different
inputs at the same time, e.g. the soundtrack of a youtube video, a song
played by amarok, and a KDE system sound played by artsd. ALSA should
automatically use software mixing to achieve this if your hardware
cannot mix the input streams directly. If you cannot hear sound from
iceweasel with dsp=none then you can check which other processes are
concurrently accessing audio devices:

lsof $(find /dev/ -group audio)

You can then try to kill the other process(es) and restart iceweasel. If
there should be a conflict with artsd then you might have to activate
auto-suspend-if-idle with a short time (e.g. 5 seconds) in the KDE Sound
System configuration.

> What alternative did you configure?

I do not set ICEWEASEL_DSP anywhere, so iceweasel uses the default value
of "none". Did you configure anything for this environmental variable?
Check it with "env | grep ICE".

> Where may I change this configuration globally?
>
> Just in /etc/profile specifically for iceweasel
> or somewhere (KDE Control Center?) for all apps?

I would set it both in your shell's profile/rc-file and in
~/.kde/env/env.sh, see "man startkde". (The setting in the shell
profile/rc will not work if you start iceweasel from a desktop menu or
by clicking an icon.) Make sure you use "export ICEWEASEL_DSP=none".

          Florian   |