Re: Squirrelmail:115 Can't Open SMTP Stream.

Semih Gokalp wrote:
> Secure SMTP servers use tcp 465 port by TLS default.Source address:
> http://www.squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin-5.html#ss5.5
> i tried but did not work.

>From there, it seems Squirrelmail supports both TLS-on-connect (which
uses port 465) and STARTTLS, which I think is preferred. It does not
make clear how to specify which method is used, though.

To use TLS-on-connect, you must make sure that Postfix is configured to
listen on this port for that kind of connection.
> Yes,Squirrelmail and Postfix are on the same host.Yes,I know if i
> connect to localhost,I dont need TLS but some clients are using
> Thunderbird so I can not disable TLS support from Postfix main.cf
> <http://main.cf/>

Can't Postfix be configured to allow plain text auth only in encrypted
connections OR if the connection comes from localhost?

Another possibility, if SquirrelMail supports is, would be for it to
call the mailer directly (generally, this is done by invoking
/usr/lib/sendmail) instead of making a SMTP connection.

> In addition to I disabled TLS and I configured on either CRAM-MD5* and
> DIGEST-MD5* authentication and worked without any problem on squirrelmail.
> But this time,only (!) DIGEST-MD5 did not work on Thunderbird.CRAM-MD5
> worked on Thunderbird.
> If i use DIGEST-MD5 mechanism,Thunderbird print error "Your Server
> doesnt support security authentication...."
> Interesting !! I can use DIGEST-MD5 mechanism and login IMAP and SMTP
> server with Evolution without problem.
>
> This is Thunderbird bug ? or  DIGEST-MD5 mechanism could not been
> sensed by Thunderbird ? anybody have an idea(s) ?
>
> * I read and benefit from
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication/PasswordSchemes and
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication/Mechanisms sources web address.

I'm not sure what Thunderbird supports and what it doesn't. But is not
unlikely that some methods are not supported .

--
Morava tão longe, que o carteiro mandava suas cartas pelo correio.
                -- Jô Soares

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb