Re: howto find out why dist-upgrade wants to remove a package?

Daniel Burrows wrote:
On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 06:36:07AM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> was heard to say:
The following packages are BROKEN:
  ghostscript libaprutil1
ghostscript: Conflicts: gs-common (< 8.62) but 0.3.13 is installed and it is kept back. Conflicts: gs-gpl (< 8.62) but 8.56.dfsg.1-1.1 is installed and it is kept back. libaprutil1: Conflicts: php4-mysql (< 6:4.4.4-10) but 6:4.4.4-8 is installed and it is kept back.
Resolving dependencies...

Remove the following packages:
php4-mysql

  This isn't present in sid any more, and according to
<http://bugs.debian.org/476781>, it's because it's an obsolete package.
I see a bunch of php5 stuff in the archive, maybe you need to upgrade to
that?

As I said before in a post, the reason for keeping php4-mysql around is that WordPress behaves badly with the Textile 2cb plugin with php5-mysql.

I have 4 years of data in mysql with WP all using that plugin, so its correct behavior if sortof important.

It may be obsolete, but its replacement causes problems for that plugin, which is no longer supported BTW.

In the meanwhile aptitude keeps insisting on removing that package no matter what I pin preferences to :-(

Hugo