Re: My first message... more of a mad mans rant...

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 05:28:38PM +0100, Steven Maddox (Cyorxamp) wrote:

>>> 3) Lets try a medium ground between stable and testing.

> This wouldn't be one more step... as I have already explained!  It won't
> be unstable -> testing -> alpha -> stable... that would be plain stupid.
> Alpha will just be a slightly re-badged ISO (one of the weekly generated
> ones) that represents a significant but feasibly usable step...  it
> doesn't need a separate repository or much management at all.  Please
> re-read what I originally wrote about this idea, I don't think you
> grasped how simple the suggestion was.

Steven, welcome to DU.

I'm not sure what you're proposing here, but we already do something
like this with the combination of testing, code freeze and release
candidates. When testing gets to a point where it is almost ready for
release, the release manager issues a code freeze. That means no new
code moves into testing (unstable too? not sure on that). Then the
last of the RC bugs get worked on while the release team makes
occaisional Release Candidate releases. I figure these are essentially
beta test releases. Prior to a release candidate coming out, testing
is in a constant state of "alpha", it just doesn't have any numbering
scheme. I suppose, one could arbitrarily assign numbers to it. Take
the weekly snapshots and call each one lenny.alpha.xx where xx is the
week number or something like that. But that's really only a naming
convention, and not of any actual use.

.02