Re: CUPS vs lpd (was Re: Giving up on Iceweasel 3.0)

On 07/07/2008 07:29 AM, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
BTW Mumia W., according to his message, stores his newly-compiled
gtk in an "exotic" location. I didn't do this. /usr/local (the
default when you compile from gtk.org) is exotic enough. Stuff
which is installed there has priority over similarly-named stuff
in /usr.

That's the problem. The gtk+2.10 in /usr/local will be seen before the gtk+2.8 in /usr, and programs that need gtk+2.8 won't work correctly.

Do you have a printer named lp in printcap? (Or named as an
alternative, such as LaserJet|lp ?). Well, I suppose you do.

Regards, Jan

Yes, I have an /etc/printcap with a "lp" entry.