Re: CUPS vs lpd (was Re: Giving up on Iceweasel 3.0)

On 07 Jul 2008, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> Anthony Campbell wrote:
>
> > I installed the gtk stuff in that way and I do have the entries
> > you listed. But I don't seem to have the same printer entries
> > in about:config.
> >
> > I have put
> >
> > print.print_printer  user_set  string lpr
> >
> > which doesn't seem to work. I can't see options for your other
> > entries. How did you create an entry for
> > print.postscript.cups.enabled?
>
> I set print.print_printer to PostScript/Default, not lpr. But it
> does not seem to matter.
>
> New preferences can be made by right-clicking anywhere in
> about:config and selecting "New". It does not seem possible to
> remove such preferences once they are created. But the setting of
> print.postscript.cups.enabled also did not matter. I changed it
> from "false" to "true" and I can still print. I cannot remember
> exactly which other about:config print things I changed, but I now
> tried several other things, and none seem to matter.
>
> I hope you get it sorted out. Which version exactly did you
> download from gtk.org? Mine is gtk+-2.10.13. Tarball was called
> gtk+-2.10.13.tar.bz2 (an "older" version, not the "stable" 2.12
> version).
>
> BTW Mumia W., according to his message, stores his newly-compiled
> gtk in an "exotic" location. I didn't do this. /usr/local (the
> default when you compile from gtk.org) is exotic enough. Stuff
> which is installed there has priority over similarly-named stuff
> in /usr.
>
> Do you have a printer named lp in printcap? (Or named as an
> alternative, such as LaserJet|lp ?). Well, I suppose you do.
>
> Regards, Jan

I compiled version 2.20.14, which was the newest I found. I may try
2.10.13 tomorrow, when my brain has recovered.

Yes, I do have lp in printcap, pointing to my printer (Kyocera). I
always have had; this works perfectly and so doess remote printing from
other machines on my network.

Incidentally, Iceape prints correctly and so does Opera. I'll soldier on
tomorrow; don't like being defeated by these things.

Thanks,

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk